Teen Mental Health

How to Access Mental Health

The ‘HOW TO” of accessing mental health support for young people

Access to mental health support usually begins by a visit to your local doctor, they provide the initial assessment, medical treatment, psychological or ‘talking’ therapies, and/or referral to mental health specialists. Psychologists, social workers and occupational therapists specialise in talking therapies, while psychiatrists specialise in medical treatment and talking therapies.

It is your local doctor who will assess whether your student will benefit from a mental health care plan. The doctor will ask your student a few questions, fill in the plan and set goals together with your student. When you make the booking, ask if a long appointment — 20 minutes or more — is needed.

A mental health care plan means, your student will be entitled to Medicare rebates for up to 10 individual and 10 group appointments with some allied mental health services in a year.

That means for certain psychologists, occupational therapists and social workers, you are also entitled to Medicare rebates for 10 individual and support group sessions in a year.

You can’t get Medicare rebates for all 10 sessions in one go. After the first 6 appointments, you need to see your doctor again for a mental health plan review and another referral.

Your doctor can give you a referral to allied mental health services in your area at your choice. Or you can get more information from Beyond Blue at: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport/find-a-professional, which includes a search tool to locate mental health professionals near you. Some provider services are uncapped, so please enquire when discussing your options.

Below is a list of adolescent mental health support services located in the greater Bunbury region

8 Spencer Street Bunbury
PH: 6164 0680

26-28 Forrest Ave Bunbury
PH: 9729 9000

Youth Focus
34 Wittenoom Street Bunbury
PH: 6266 4333

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
Unit 14, 32 Strickland Street Bunbury
PH: 9722 4300

An after-hours mental health service is Rural link
PH: 1800 552 002

Other crisis support services include

Urgent mental health telephone support for children and families (Under 18 years – 24 hours – 7 days)
PH: 1800 048 636

Crisis Care (24hr)
PH: 1800 199 008

Alcohol and Drug Information Service
PH: 1800 198 024

At Australind Senior High School, we aim to provide a holistic level of support for your student, therefore; could you please contact Student Services to let us know the outcome from your student’s doctor’s appointment. If you have any further questions or require further information, please feel free to contact Student Services staff on 9797 4400.

Additional Resources